|Voiced By||Jōji Nakata (T1, T2,
Kazuhiro Yamaji (T:TMP)
Masanori Shinohara (T4, Namco X Capcom, T:BV, TTT2, TR)
|Fighting Style||Advanced Mishima style Fighting Karate (三島流喧嘩空手改)|
|Hobby||Seeking out ultimate power from his other half|
|Likes||Heihachi's hateful looks, destruction, his human form, and power from Devil Jin|
|Dislikes||Heihachi Mishima, Devil Jin, Lee Chaolan, the Tekken Force, Jin Kazama, Azazel and Angel|
- 1 Introduction
- 2 History
- 3 Spin-Offs and Related Games
- 4 Other Media
- 5 Videos
- 6 Character Trivia
- 7 Character Relationships
- 8 Notes
Devil (デビル Debiru), also referred to as Devil Kazuya (デビル一八 Debiru Kazuya) is Kazuya Mishima after the Devil Gene takes over him. He was first introduced in Tekken as a secret costume for Kazuya and makes his debut as a playable character complete with his own move-set in Tekken 2 and served as the final boss. Devil split from Kazuya after he was nearly killed at the end of The King of Iron Fist Tournament 2. A scene in the opening of Tekken 3, portraying a ghostly figure branding the arm of Jin with a mysterious tattoo that leads to the theory that Devil would later possess the body of Jin, after the disappearance of his mother, Jun Kazama who had protected her unborn child from it 15 years ago.
In recent games, specifically Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Kazuya and Devil are treated as one and the same in terms of gameplay. Devil will be making a non-canon appearance in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 but under the name of Kazuya, as a special stance that allows Kazuya to transform into his Devil form, allowing him to use his Devil abilities to fly and projectile a laser from his forehead. For references after his final in name appearance, please see Kazuya from Tekken 4 onward.
His title in the original trilogy is Devil Kazuya.
Games in order of appearance:
- Tekken (1995)
- Tekken 2 (1996)
- Tekken Tag Tournament (2000)
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (2011)
- Tekken Revolution (2013)
Devil is just an alternate costume for Kazuya, he has no additional or unique "Devil" moves, he plays identical to Kazuya and shares the same ending video.
- Prologue (Non-official)
- At the age of five, Kazuya was thrown off a cliff by his father, Heihachi Mishima. Kazuya survives after Devil appears to him awakening the power that lies within him, his "devil gene.
- Devil is a 3rd costume for Kazuya Mishima, exclusive to the PlayStation version.
- He is unlocked by winning eight levels in the Galaga mini game without missing one enemy ship on any stage. The player is only allowed to retry a stage once, through pressing the "Select" button.
- His Stage 8 sub-boss, as with Kazuya, is Lee Chaolan.
- Prologue (Non-official)
- Kazuya defeated Heihachi at the end of The King of Iron Fist Tournament by transforming into Devil and assumes control of the Mishima Zaibatsu. The Mishima Zaibatsu under Kazuya's leadership has become even more powerful with its tendrils reaching to all corners of the world. Soon after his father's apparent death, Kazuya disappears into the shadows. However, rumors of his immense power, and a dark side, slowly begin to spread throughout the world. Exactly two years after the end of the first Tekken, a message is relayed from the Mishima Zaibatsu fortress to news agencies all over the world announcing a second tournament with a prize a thousand times that of the first.
- Ending (Unofficial Synopsis)
- Devil stands in Mirror Darkness. He blasts a laser from through the roof and appears standing on the top of a skyscraper. He takes flight into the night sky toward a full moon.
- Devil's sub-bosses are Heihachi Mishima (Stage 8), Jun Kazama (Stage 9), and Angel as the final boss.
- To unlock Devil and Angel, you must complete Arcade Mode with Kazuya.
Spin-Offs and Related Games
This section is empty. You can help by expanding it.
Tekken Tag Tournament is a non-canonical Tekken game containing no plot.
- Ending (Unofficial Synopsis)
- Unknown (Stage) Devil walks up to Jun Kazama, who is unconscious and laying on the ground. Devil crouches, picks her up with both arms, and flies away.
- Devil now has a tail, and Devil vs. Devil matches are now possible, due to an alternate, lighter coloured version being added.
- If you selected Devil and Kazuya Mishima as tag partners, one would transform into the other when tagging, instead of the usual tag animation. This transformation was also accompanied with a small stun if it connected with the other player, giving you enough time to transform without suffering a counter attack. This also works for Unknown, Tetsujin and Mokujin if they are imitating Kazuya and have Devil as their partner, when tagging.
- All Jack robots (Prototype Jack, Jack-2, and Gun Jack) will go haywire if Devil's or Angel's laser strikes them.
- True Ogre is his rival. However, since Tekken Tag Tournament is a non-canon game their rivalry is also non-canon.
- Devil is the sub-boss for Jin Kazama, True Ogre, and Jun Kazama.
Devil now serves as a stance for Kazuya that he transforms into rather than a new character. The stance is entered and exited by pressing "u/b+1+2", and while in it, it allows Kazuya to execute the moves that were unique to Devil in T2 and TTT1. The most notable of them is Devil's standing "Twin Pistons" (d/f+1,2), which replaces all of Kazuya's other "d/f+1" strings until the stance is exited.
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a non-canonical Tekken game, containing no plot.
- Ending (Unofficial Synopsis)
- In The Fallen Garden, Kazuya picks up an unconscious Unknown by the face and proceeds to take her powers. He slowly becomes covered in the same slime visible in the ground of Fallen Garden and transforms into Devil (using the appearance from Blood Vengeance). He roars loudly causing a large shockwave, laughs sadistically and flies off.
- Devil is one of the four playable characters in Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Prologue, along with Alisa Bosconovitch, Devil Jin and Ling Xiaoyu.
- Like in T2 and TTT1, his "Devil Blaster" and "Reverse Devil Blaster" moves are still done simply by inputting "3+4" and "3+4,3+4", respectively, as opposed to Devil Jin and Angel, who use "3+4,1+2" and "3+4,f+1+2" for their variations.
- Due to only being a "stance" for Kazuya in this game, there is now no change when executing Kazuya's standard "Reverse Neck Throw" (From behind 1+3_2+4), whereas in T2 and TTT1, Devil used Heihachi's "Atomic Drop" as his back throw.
Story (Unofficial Synopsis)
Devil plays role as one of the main antagonists who is sought out by Jin and ends up fighting against heroes such as Ryu and Ken from the Street Fighter series. He also attempts to obtain the Soul Edge sword (from the Soul Calibur series) as he tries to kill Jin and destroy the world. Jin, Heihachi, and Ryu manage to spoil his plans by defeating him.
This section is empty. You can help by expanding
As with Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Devil is featured in the free-to-play online game Tekken Revolution, through Kazuya's Devil Transformation "stance" (u/b+1+2), where he retains all of the moves unique to him while also having access to Kazuya's (minus his d/f+1 follow-ups). His lasers have been aesthetically changed, having now increased in size to more closely resemble the beams used by Angel and himself in Tekken 2.
Special Art/Critical Arts
Kumo Kiri: b+1+2.
Abolishing Fist: d/f+2.
Left Splits Kick: f,F+3.
Wind God Fist: f,N,d,d/f+2_f,N,d/f+2.
Spinning Demon to Left Hook: f,N,d,d/f+4,1_f,N,d/f+4,1.
- Though it requires a great commitment to properly master his fighting style, Devil Kazuya's laser beam mix-ups, in conjunction with his Special Art/Invincible, have made him a notorious "beginner's choice" in this game.
Devil makes a minor appearance in Tekken: The Motion Picture.
- This section is empty. You can help by expanding it.
- Devil makes cameo appearances in the Tekken 3 opening sequence (he marks Jin Kazama arm with a mysterious symbol) Kazuya Mishima's Tekken 4 ending, and Kazuya's Tekken 5 / Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection prologue. This makes him the "devil" to exist the longest in the Tekken series. (He appears in every game excluding Tekken Advance as a playable character or in a cameo).
- Devil has a new updated look for the movie, Tekken: Blood Vengeance. This look will be carried over into Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue Version.
- In Tekken 5, Kazuya Mishima can be customised to have Devil's horns, tail, wings and a third eye.
- The Devil Gene within Kazuya Mishima. From the ending of Tekken 4 onwards, Kazuya appears to have control over the Devil Gene.
- Rival of Angel in Tekken 2.
- Apparent rival of Ogre/True Ogre in Tekken Tag Tournament. (Non-canon)
- Consanguinity and rival of Azazel in Tekken 6.
- Parts of his entity and Devil Gene were destroyed by Heihachi Mishima when he threw Kazuya into a volcano after the events of Tekken 2.
- Was defeated by Jun Kazama while trying to possess her still unborn child, Jin Kazama.
- Sought out Jin Kazama during Tekken 4 to take Jin's Devil Gene in order to be complete again.
- Other half of Devil Jin through the Devil Gene.